Midland International Airport will be hosting the 50th edition of Commemorative Air Force’s Airsho October 11-13, 2013. Airport surface closures will be in place during this time for the safety of aerobatic performers, tenants, and spectators. Safety is our top priority, and these airfield closures ensure safety before, during, and after airshow events. A Temporary Flight Restriction (TFR) will also be in place during aerobatic demonstrations. The TFR will be applicable from the surface to 17500 AGL, within a five (5) nautical mile radius of MAF. Expected airport closure times are listed below. MAF will be closed to all arriving and departing traffic during the aerodrome closure periods.[i] Please note these times are tentative; the TFR and NOTAMs may be cancelled prior to the times indicated.[ii]
- Friday October 11, 2013 – 0930L-1230L
- Saturday October 12, 2013 – 1230L-2000L
- Sunday October 13, 2013 – 1130L-1730L
Runway and Taxiway Closures
- Taxiway ‘A’ will be closed beginning Tuesday 10/08/13 at 0800L until further notice. Aircraft wishing to taxi to and/or from the ‘Y’ Ramp should contact the Airport Operations Control Center for taxiing instructions.
- Taxiway ‘E’ will be closed beginning Tuesday 10/08/13 from 0800L until further notice.
- West 100’ feet of Taxiway ‘P’ will be closed between Taxiway ‘H’ and Runway 10/28 beginning 10/10/13 at 0800L until further notice. Aircraft utilizing Taxiway ‘P’ should taxi east of the Taxiway centerline.
- The west 3000’ feet of Runway 10/28 will be closed except for taxiing operations beginning Friday 10/11/13 @ 0930L until further notice. This closure will be delayed indefinitely if conditions warrant the use of ILS equipment.
[i] The only exceptions are for emergency aircraft, air carrier aircraft, airshow aircraft, and those which have received prior permission from the Airport Manager and Midland ATC.
[ii] All General Aviation and transient/for-hire Airsho traffic should expect a short delay each day following the conclusion of aerobatic activities. Airport Operations will be conducting an Airfield Safety Inspection to ensure the safety of airport users. Non-air carrier traffic must remain clear of all Runways and Taxiways until otherwise advised.
The PAPIs have been completed on the 10 end. Monday the 13th at 0700L the project will transition to the 28 end requiring the closure of RWY 16L/34R. The entire PAPI system is scheduled to be flight checked on September 10th. If they are completed and the flight check aircraft passes and certifies the PAPIs we expect to open the runways shortly after that flight check.